The following recipe was created by Miss Pearce and the ‘Orange Team’. If you make this at home, I’d love to see a photograph of it – feel free to Tweet @theflitchgreen – #orangeteam.
Pan Fried Chicken in a Tomato Pesto Sauce
Served with Steamed Pasta and Wilted Greens
Diced Chicken Fillet – 360g
Chunky Diced Fresh Tomatoes – 2
Fresh Basil – 10 leaves
Finely Chopped Fresh Garlic – 2 cloves
Fine Diced Spanish Onions – 1 large
Vegetable Oil – 50ml
Black Pepper – 2 pinches
Frozen Garden Peas – 80g
Pre Cooked Pasta Shells – 200g
Chopped Tomatoes Tinned – 400g
Fresh Spinach Leaves – 240g
Sliced Spring Onions – 60g
Sour Cream – 50 ml
- Heat half the oil in a wok or saucepan, add the chicken and pan fry until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
- In a separate wok or small saucepan heat the remainder of the oil and lightly cook the garlic being careful not to brown it, add the onions until they go soft, add the fresh chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, add the chopped tinned tomatoes and bring to a simmer, add the fresh basil leaves and turn off the heat.
- Place the spinach, peas and spring onion into a steamer for 5 minutes until the spinach turns dark green and wilted in appearance also place the cooked pasta into a separate tear of the steamer or cover in boiling water to heat.
- Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place the hot pasta onto a warm plate, place the chicken and sauce onto the pasta and serve the wilted greens on the side. Spoon lightly the sour cream over your dish
Serves 4 portions